This job posting is no longer active
Join the HJF Team!
HJF is seeking a Scientist I to support the Enteric Diseases Group in the Department of Preventative Medicine and Biostatistics at the Uniformed Services University in Bethesda, MD. Responsible for initiating and carrying out research projects in collaboration with Drs. David Tribble and Mark Riddle.
1. Assists in designing, developing, executing, and implementing scientific research and/or development.
2. Investigates the feasibility of applying a wide variety of scientific principles and theories to potential inventions and products.
3. Uses appropriate software packages to analyze whole genome sequencing, functional gene array, and proteome array data from high throughput systems biology technologies. Provides integrated analysis of different types of data sets. Is proficient in modeling of host:pathogen interactions based on system biology data sets.
4. Collects and handles data and keeps detailed records of experiments.
5. Assists with the preparation of data for presentations at scientific meetings and for publication in journals.
6. Assists with training staff as needed.
7. Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: Knowledge of biological network analysis and machine learning; Proficiency in R, BioPerl, UNIX, and other related languages; Understanding of host:pathogen interactions
Minimum Education/Training Requirements: PhD in computational biology, biostatistics, bioinformatics, computational science, microbiology, or related field.
Minimum Experience: 2-4 years
Physical Capabilities: Long periods of sitting; intricate work with hands
Supervisory Responsibilities/Controls: Provide guidance to laboratory staff
Work Environment: Office environment; may require working evenings and weekends
HJF is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents, in lieu of stated minimums, require the prior approval of the Director of Human Resources.