Join the HJF Team!
HJF is seeking an E-Learning/Instructional Designer to support the Office of the Vice President for Information & Education Technology/CIO, Education & Technology Innovation (ETI) Support Office located at the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences (USU). HJF provides scientific, technical and programmatic support services to USU.
Introduction: The mission of the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences (USU) is to provide the highest quality education programs in the health sciences to those selected individuals who demonstrate dedication to a career in the health professions in the Uniformed Services. The USU is authorized to grant appropriate advanced academic degrees and has established postdoctoral, postgraduate, and technological institutes. Programs in continuing education for military members of the health professions have been established so that the highest standards of health care may be maintained within the military medical departments. The USU must be responsible to the overall educational needs of the Military Departments relating specifically to the preparation of individuals for careers in the health professions. The USU is developing programs designed to recruit and retain superior health science professionals as faculty and researcher, and to ensure maximum utilization of the health science labor force, facilities, and equipment available within military medical departments worldwide.
Purpose: The candidate will serve as the E-Learning Specialist/Instructional Designer supporting projects including the design, development, pilot testing, delivery and evaluation of courses and instructional packages. They will create and upload course content and provide revisions. The candidate will provide creative professional guidance and support teaching and learning. They will also create multimedia projects and graphics, provide educational analytic support, and support educational tasks. The candidate will be part of a matrixed team supporting various departments but reporting to the Director of the ETI.
- The candidate will:
- Design and develop face-to-face as well as Web-based/distributed educational products and materials from needs analysis and development of instructional objectives to designing instruction to the final evaluation of course or courseware. Instructional materials should be interactive, innovative, functional, informative, and consistent with sound instructional design and learning theory principles.
- Work in an integrated matrixed team environment with people with different technical and cultural backgrounds to develop effective course content and learning activities.Team members could include instructional designers, graphic designers, medical illustrators, and developers.
- Support the development of multimedia products (using both graphics, LMS, and development tools) for a wide variety of stakeholders as directed and will participate in and plan workshops along with other specialized training on graphics, video and multimedia design and development/production.
- Develop assessment and evaluation designs and logic models, evaluation plans/schedules, identify interim and final intervention impact and outcome measures, define process documentation requirements, and collaborate on the development of quantitative survey instruments and qualitative interview guides.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- The candidate must:
- Show a strong history of working with university faculty to enhance both face to face instruction and distributed learning (DL), creating instructionally sound materials.
- Possess excellent organizational, planning, writing, project management and communications skills.
- Concurrently work on multiple projects with different timelines.
- The candidate must have experience:
- Applying instructional as well as cognitive and social psychology principles relevant to research-informed educational decision making.
- Developing continuous improvement programs that employ in vivo experiments and educational data mining to reliably identify best practices and opportunities for change and improvement of educational offerings.
- Using instructional and interaction design skills to create solutions that not only enhance learning but are also engaging.
- Using psychometric and educational data mining methods in evaluating and improving educational solutions.
- Implementing compliance with Section 508 using appropriate multimedia development techniques and sound design practices for the web or face-to face presentation.
- The ideal candidate will integrate their knowledge of the health sciences (medical), technology and education disciplines to support, teaching, learning and product development.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of a wide range of concepts, principles, and practices of distributed learning. The work requires knowledge of learning theory/science and their principles, methods & practices; use of data analytics; and techniques of the instructional systems field. This knowledge should have been acquired through extended study as well as experience and the candidate should be skilled in applying this knowledge to difficult and complex work assignments.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and the Google suite of products.
- The candidate must possess very strong English communication and writing skills. The candidate will work extensively with USU personnel and must have the ability to articulate thoughts verbally and in written communications in an advanced manner as well as be able to provide graduate level editing and writing skills. The candidate should be able to use the appropriate style when writing a variety of types of business and academic documents including project descriptions, case studies, project reports, journal articles, conference papers, etc. The candidate should be able to edit and write concisely, quickly and compellingly.
Minimum Education: Master's degree in Instructional Design, Instructional Technology or similar field.
Minimum Experience/ Training Requirements:
- 6 – 8 years of relevant experience.
- The candidate should be prepared to show examples of his/her work on educational projects using these tools.
- The candidate must highlight in their resume the use of tools/languages.
- Education cannot be used in lieu of work experience.
- Experience developing effective assessments, including test/quiz questions and embedding them into products (LMSes, courseware, content systems, and face to face course materials).
- Experience with the full suite of Panopto tools or similar video streaming server.
- Experience using learning management systems (LMSes) (SAKAI is preferred) to develop instructional design products. LMS experience must include graduate degree level (PhD) accredited universities to include structured design and development of courses capstones, and training.
- Experience in:
- Developing curricula and curricular strategy for face to face and distributed learning environments.
- Creating documentation (e.g., user guides, process guides, storyboards etc.) based on design principles.
- Planning and implementing evaluation and assessment of courseware and other educational products.
- Gathering requirements for designing and developing face-to-face and DL educational animations, graphics, medical illustrations and other multimedia content, and then developing those requirements into final products or recommendations as directed by leadership.
- It is preferred that the candidate has proven expertise in health sciences (medical) related fields.
- Work Schedule: Onsite - After 6 months, one day of telework per week may be considered if possible.
- May be required to attend field training exercises, conferences or meetings as well as work nights and weekends as necessary.
- Site is metro accessible. Parking may be available.
Background: U.S. Citizenship required; eligibility to obtain and hold a Secret Security Clearance.
Employment with HJF is contingent upon successful completion of a background check, which may include, but is not limited to, contacting your professional references, verification of previous employment, addresses, education, and credentials, a criminal background check, drug screening, and a department of motor vehicle (DMV) check.
HJF is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents, in lieu of stated minimums, require the prior approval of the Chief Human Resources Officer.