Join the HJF Team!
HJF is seeking an Administrative Assistant III to support the Daniel K. Inouye Graduate School of Nursing (GSN), Office of the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, Ph.D. in Nursing Science Program located at the Uniformed Services University (USU) in Bethesda, Maryland.
The mission of USU is to provide the highest quality education programs in the health sciences to those selected individuals who demonstrate dedication to a career in the health professions in the Uniformed Services.
The Ph.D. in Nursing Science program is one of 6 programs in the GSN. The employee provides administrative support and assistance on all aspects of the PhD program, supports faculty, students and other staff in academic and research programs and is responsible for the following administrative program support duties:
- Serve as administrative support for the Program Chair who directs the academic program, faculty and students:
- Ascertains the nature of inquiries of telephone calls and the business of visitors and responds to telephone calls and visitors to the office.
- Personally handles administrative issues and questions and other inquiries requiring none or little technical expertise. Such inquiries may involve information concerning GSN and USU policies, procedures and regulations. Refers more complicated technical matters to the Chair or appropriate senior staff member.
- Recognizes sensitive situations and gives special attention and priority handling as dictated by the situation. Responds to the support needs of the GSN staff as needed and assists in dealing with fluctuating workloads.
- Prepares and assembles materials for various meetings. Attends meetings and transcribe meeting minutes according to a template designed by the Chair of the meeting. Ensures that materials are prepared, duplicated, and distributed either on paper or via email in a timely way and that sensitive information is stored under appropriate security conditions.
- Creates and modifies MS Office and Adobe Acrobat and Google Suite electronic templates to create forms and correspondence. Updates forms as necessary to ensure the most up-to-date version is always available for use. Ensures these electronic forms are accessible from the internet.
- Uses MS-Excel to coordinate the program budget. Requisitions supplies and equipment. Monitors purchase and keeps Chair informed of budget balances.
- Serves as the Defense Travel System (DTS) coordinator for the Ph.D. program and coordinates travel for faculty and students in compliance with federal, USU and GSN guidelines. Reviews travel for other programs as needed.
- Provides guest faculty and visitor support. Arranges base access and visitor parking as needed.
- Reviews faculty and student manuscripts and submits to External Affairs via the Office of the Dean, for review.
- Contributes to the annual report and periodic program reports.
- Reviews forms and data reports for overall completeness, accuracy and routing.
- Maintains database for adjunct faculty appointments.
- Maintains program files according to government filing procedures.
- In coordination with the GSN webmaster, provides information to update the PhD section of the GSN website.
Knowledge Required by the Position:
- Ability to communicate effectively with clarity of expression via telephone and electronic media in order to provide information to investigators and customers and assist them in accessing and using forms on the Internet.
- Skill of a qualified typist is required. Skill in the use of office automation (OA) equipment sufficient to prepare a variety of lengthy documents using personal computer and printer.
Physical Demands: The incumbent's work requires the ability to move around the office and carry light items such as office files. Use carts to pick up copy paper or equipment from another building and transport to work space.
Minimum Education/Training Requirements: 2 years of college. Advanced knowledge of MS-Office, G-Suite and Adobe Acrobat.
Minimum Experience: 4-6 years-related experience in the area of administrative support.
Background: Eligibility to obtain a Common Access Card (CAC); eligibility to obtain and hold a Public Trust background.
Employment with HJF is contingent upon successful completion of a background check, which may include, but is not limited to, contacting your professional references, verification of previous employment, addresses, education, and credentials, a criminal background check, drug screening, and a department of motor vehicle (DMV) check.
HJF is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents, in lieu of stated minimums, require the prior approval of the Chief Human Resources Officer.