Join the HJF Team!
HJF is seeking a Data Scientist/ Software Engineer with data science expertise to support the Pathology Department located at the Naval Medical Center (NMCSD) in San Diego, California. HJF provides scientific, technical and programmatic support services to the Pathology Department.
This position will be responsible for managing and coordinating all aspects of the data science functional area in support of research activities within the program. Responsibilities include management of staff and planning of resources in addition to study planning duties of other Data Manager levels.
- Collaborating in the development of state-of-the-art machine learning experiments.
- Medical record data abstraction from multiple data repositories.
- Correlate patients and manage multiple data sets from multiple data locations.
- Understand and safeguard data in accordance with HIPAA and HITECH regulations for the protection of medical record datasets.
- Implement Natural Language Processing techniques for the de-identification of flat text.
- Develop reproducible build processes and source code version control.
- Assist in experimental design and quality assurance.
- Lead a multi-functional team of data-related resources including data system programmers, pathology informatics technicians, and programmers.
- Work with project management staff and team leads to define timelines of assigned studies to ensure study milestones are met.
- Represents Data Management during study team meetings, regularly informing project management of overall study data status and potential issues for resolution.
- Work with project management and study team to determine data to be collected and to develop data collection instruments, including annotated documentation.
- Develop and maintain study-specific data management, data cleaning and validation plans.
- Plan, manage, and perform data collection instrument user acceptance testing.
- Manage query submission, tracking and resolution for complex studies and groups of studies.
- Oversee the activities of other staff assigned to manage studies.
- Review and approve study documentation created by junior personnel.
- Mentor all study personnel on standards, data management practices and quality assurance practices.
- Assist clinical users in database interaction as necessary, performing queries upon supervisor’s direction.
- Perform other duties as required.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Demonstrated technical leadership in informatics.
- History of successful team leadership roles.
- Proficiency in at least one programming language.
- Experience with some variation of Agile development methodology.
- Ability to manage multiple, highly complex and/or large studies concurrently.
- Ability to work independently in a remote team setting, and meet deadlines.
- Experience managing all data-related aspects of studies with FDA-regulated devices.
- Proficiency in the understanding, development, and execution of all aspects of clinical trial Data Management (e.g. CRF design, data entry instructions, data management and QA plans, resource planning, data status tracking, etc.).
- Knowledge of FDA and ICH regulatory requirements and terminology for clinical studies.
- Must be detail oriented; possess problem solving skills, and the ability to handle multiple tasks and set priorities appropriately.
- Knowledge of good clinical practices as defined by the Society for Clinical Data Management preferred.
- Knowledge of at least one clinical data management system (e.g. REDCap, OpenClinica, Medidata Rave) preferred.
Minimum Education/Training Requirements: Bachelor’s degree from a 4-year accredited college, or equivalent experience with a concentration in the research field. Master’s degree or PhD preferred.
Minimum Experience: 2 years’ experience in at least one of the following
- C++, Java, Python, MUMPS, R, SAS, Visual Basic, PostgresSQL
- SAS Certified Specialist or CSSLP certification preferred. Unix or Linux experience preferred. Experience with Docker, Kubernetes, and other virtualized systems preferred.
Physical Capabilities: Ability to sit for prolonged periods of time at a computer and/or desk; ability to move within the worksite and well as travel to other research sites.
Supervisory Responsibilities/Controls: May supervise data science staff.
Work Environment: Office and clinical laboratory environments.
Background: U.S. Citizenship required; eligibility to obtain and hold a Secret Security Clearance.
Employment with HJF is contingent upon successful completion of a background check, which may include, but is not limited to, contacting your professional references, verification of previous employment, addresses, education, and credentials, a criminal background check, drug screening, and a department of motor vehicle (DMV) check.
HJF is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents, in lieu of stated minimums, require the prior approval of the Chief Human Resources Officer.