Join the HJF Team!
HJF is seeking a Data Manager III to support the Center for Rehabilitation Sciences Research (CRSR) located at the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center (WRNMMC) and Uniformed Services University (USU) in Bethesda, MD. HJF provides scientific, technical, and programmatic support services to CRSR.
The incumbent is responsible for assisting with data management for all Center sponsored studies, including multi-site/ multi-investigator research studies/protocols to include source document design, data entry screen testing and approval, research data set creation, data cleaning and quality control, data updates and merges, summary statistics, data queries, regulatory oversight, and scientific graphics.
- Works closely with CRSR Core Principal Investigators, the CRSR Clinical Project Manager, and CRSR contractors to complete CRSR Core data requirements and plans for the full data life cycle from project conception to long term data storage.
- Designs data collection forms and assesses feasibility of data systems to meet research data handling needs. Assists in the design of research protocols for both scientific and methodological components, to include data collection plans, data management plans, and privacy and confidentiality plans.
- Works with clinical research teams to implement CRFs (Case Report Forms) in our current EDC (Electronic Data Capture systems), including REDCap, MS Access, and other existing systems. Designs and administers custom database design appropriate to project goals and requirements, including both front-end design and interface for end-user data entry and backend design and programming.
- Recommends operating methods to improve processing, distribution, data flow, collection and database editing procedures. Works to optimize data quality and automate the process in general. Creates documentation to provide guidelines to the standard procedures. Develops internal Data Management Plans and Data Dictionaries.
- Advises on compliance for data collection, analysis, storage, and transfer of human subjects’ data. Works closely with Human Protections and Regulatory personnel to ensure compliance with all regulatory and DOD policies. Ensures appropriate protocols and data sharing agreements are executed to support Center researchers through the IRB, HRPP, DSA, and SSV processes at multiple institutions and Commands.
- Oversees the quality assurance of all study databases, including the planning and formulation of policies and objectives, developing strategies for delivering quality assurance services, and allocating resources.
- Tests data to identify data integrity issues, making recommendations and plans solutions based on research goals. Troubleshoots problems concerning database records and communicate with co-workers and end users of the system.
- Serves as the main POC for data collection inquiries and distribution. Maintains working knowledge of all MHS data systems and resources to advise CRSR Investigators on appropriate data for their research goals. Assists researchers in retrieving information from MHS databases and other data sources.
- Supports Data Analyst and Epidemiologist in data extraction, modeling, and analysis using SAS, R, SQL, and/or Python. Uses expertise in SQL programming to acquire and analyze personnel and health data for military-related epidemiological studies (ad hoc or recurrent). Provides ad hoc data sets for investigators and biostatisticians upon request. Provides research and management reports as requested.
- Performs data archive procedures and establishes guidelines. Formats study data to conform to public registries and federal repositories by using existing Common Data Elements and Form Structures or defining new Unique Data Elements and Form Structures to promote open collaborative science.
- Provides assistance and training to data entry personnel when new protocols begin or as new data entry screens are added or modified.
- Completes other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: Knowledge of data entry systems, quality control, basic SQL, dataset creation and maintenance, experience with relational databases; excellent communication skills and ability to interact with investigators on a wide variety of research protocols; proficient using Microsoft Access and REDCap for data collection/import/export. Experience with setting up and training end users on Electronic Data Capture systems.
Minimum Education/Training Requirements: Bachelor's degree in a relevant field.
Minimum Experience: 5 or more years Data Management experience in a clinical research environment, with at least 4 years' experience as a Data Manager. Education may be substituted for some experience.
Physical Capabilities: Ability to sit for prolonged periods of time at a computer and/or desk; ability to move within the worksite and well as travel to other research sites.
Supervisory Responsibilities/Controls: May supervise data entry staff.
Work Environment: Office environment.
Background: U.S. Citizenship required; eligibility to obtain and hold a Secret Security Clearance.
Employment with HJF is contingent upon successful completion of a background check, which may include, but is not limited to, contacting your professional references, verification of previous employment, addresses, education, and credentials, a criminal background check, drug screening, and a department of motor vehicle (DMV) check.
HJF is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents, in lieu of stated minimums, require the prior approval of the Chief Human Resources Officer.