Join the HJF Team!
HJF is seeking an Research Epidemiologist to support the Center for Rehabilitation Sciences Research (CRSR) located at the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences (USUHS) in Bethesda, MD and is responsible for the initiation and execution of epidemiological research projects in collaboration with the Department of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation (PM&R) research team. The Epidemiologist II/ Biostatistician will also collaborate on research efforts with the Department of Pediatrics at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center in Bethesda, MD. HJF provides scientific, technical and programmatic support services to CRSR.
- Serves as an Epidemiologist / Biostatistician on a large longitudinal study related to mild traumatic brain injury (concussion).
- Proposes, implements, and coordinates appropriate exploratory, descriptive, and predictive data analyses to meet the needs of research projects, including analyses of population health data, complex phenotypic data, blood biomarker data, and imaging data.
- Collaborates with other scientific staff and faculty, including those at the National Institutes of Health, other departments the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, and other collaborating Department of Defense (DoD) and non-DoD institutions.
- Provides consultation regarding study design and as well as appropriate and necessary statistical analysis consistent with contemporary science and prevailing best practices. This includes advising clinicians and researchers on study design, data analysis, and data interpretation.
- Provides guidance and mentoring to junior team members.
- Data Management/Manipulation:
- Extracts data from Military Health System Database using SAS query programs.
- Uses SAS programming to extract and manage data in the MDR System.
- Familiarity with SAS macros, SAS SQL, and advanced data step processing.
- Translates datasets between formats of major professional statistical software.
- Performs data validation of large data files including detecting and correcting or removing duplicate, corrupt or inaccurate data.
- Manipulates and prepares data into formats for necessary for statistical analysis.
- Manages protected healthcare data according to security requirements.
- Prepares files for merging and performs merges of disparate datasets.
- Data Analysis:
- Writes and develops programming for use in professional statistical programs such as SAS.
- Performs exploratory data analysis.
- Performs and interprets univariate, bivariate and multivariable analyses.
- Performs, troubleshoots and interprets multivariate regression models, including linear, Poisson, log-linear and proportional hazard models.
- Participates in continuing education in research and statistical methods.
- Research Coordination:
- Assists in maintenance of calendar of required research and IRB documentation, grant updates, and administrative requirement for research activities.
- Prepares statistical and analysis plans for grant proposals and research protocols.
- Prepares data for presentations at scientific meetings and for publication in journals; works with staff in the editing and submission of scientific work for presentation and publication.
- Consults with collaborating researchers regarding analytic procedures and methodology.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: Knowledge and ability to use and teach advanced analytic tools and methods. Advanced knowledge in statistical programming as it relates to biomedical research. Familiarity with SAS, SQL, and/or R for statistical analysis. Familiarity with military data sets and systems (e.g., MDR) is preferred. Eligible to obtain and maintain a Secret Security Clearance required for database access. Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Minimum Education/Training Requirements: MS, MPH, or equivalent in a relevant discipline such as epidemiology, public health, biostatistics, biomedical or health informatics, computational biology, etc.
Minimum Experience: 4 to 6 years research and/or health data analysis experience.
Physical Capabilities: Requires long periods of working at a computer; may lift materials weighing no more than 30 lbs.
Work Environment: Office environment.
Background: U.S. Citizenship required; eligibility to obtain and hold a Secret Security Clearance.
Employment with HJF is contingent upon successful completion of a background check, which may include, but is not limited to, contacting your professional references, verification of previous employment, addresses, education, and credentials, a criminal background check, drug screening, and a department of motor vehicle (DMV) check.
HJF is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents, in lieu of stated minimums, require the prior approval of the Chief Human Resources Officer.