Join the HJF Team!
HJF is seeking a Senior Biostatistician and Bioinformatics Analyst to support the Center for Prostate Disease Research (CPDR) located at the HJF Home Office in Bethesda, MD. HJF provides scientific, technical and programmatic support services to CPDR.
Overarching responsibilities are to provide biostatistical and bioinformatics support for clinical, epidemiologic/observational and translational prostate disease and cancer research.
- Works closely with clinicians, epidemiologists, and basic science researchers to provide assistance in the planning and execution of study cohort designs and statistical analysis plans to help achieve the goals of the research program.
- Recommends, advises, and leads all statistical design and analysis for IRB protocols, grants, abstracts, posters, presentations and manuscripts.
- Leads the interpretation and generation of reports for all statistical modeling and results.
- Implements current and emerging statistical modeling algorithms for analyzing data.
- Serves as expert for time to event modeling, repeated outcomes measures analysis, clinical utility/predictive models (e.g., ROC curve analysis).
- Leads scientific summaries of all statistical designs and results.
- Conducts a priori power calculations for study protocols and grant applications.
- Provides relevant statistical guidance, including recommendations for appropriate methodologies, with consideration and understanding of novel modeling strategies.
- Performs analysis of gene expression, next-generation sequencing (NGS) genomic and proteomic data acquired from clinical tissues, biofluids, and experimental models.
- Integrates bioinformatics data (e.g., genomics, proteomics, transcriptomics, metabolomics) with clinical and pathologic data sets.
- Develops algorithms for gene and protein panel construction and analysis, using techniques such as principal components analysis and factor analysis.
- Designs and implements validation strategies for NGS analysis tools and pipelines.
- Supervises junior biostatisticians/data analysts.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Demonstrated proficiency with statistical methods and applications in clinical research.
- Expert knowledge of SAS and/or R software packages.
- Expertise in state-of-the-art data manipulation and statistical methodology.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and work independently as well as in a team environment.
- Excellent interpersonal and oral/written communication skills.
- Familiarity with different assays, modes of sequencing, and analysis approaches (Whole Genome versus Whole Exome Sequencing, RNA-seq).
- Experience with genomic analysis of NGS DNA or RNA assays.
- Experience developing bioinformatics pipelines and tools for NGS.
- Experience with cancer genomics software (e.g., Mutect, Varscan2).
- Experience in cancer variant detection (e.g., Small variants, fusions, CNAs) Experience with standard genomics software (e.g., BWA, GATK, SAMTools).
- Familiarity with cancer genome databases (e.g., Cosmic and TCGA).
- Experience with Python.
- Familiarity with grid and/or cloud computing systems.
- Oncology experience.
Minimum Education/Experience Requirements:
- Must possess a Masters' Degree in Statistics, Biostatistics, Mathematics, Computer Science or similar discipline with 6 - 10 years of professional experience;
- OR a PhD in related disciplines with 2 - 4 years of professional experience.
Physical Capabilities: Requires sitting for long periods of time at a computer and/or desk.
Work Environment: Office environment.
Employment with HJF is contingent upon successful completion of a background check, which may include, but is not limited to, contacting your professional references, verification of previous employment, addresses, education, and credentials, a criminal background check, drug screening, and a department of motor vehicle (DMV) check.
HJF is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents, in lieu of stated minimums, require the prior approval of the Chief Human Resources Officer.