This job posting is no longer active
Join the HJF Team!
The Henry M. Jackson Foundation (HJF) is seeking a Senior Research Assistant, to support the U.S. Air Force School of Aerospace Medicine (USAFSAM) in the Applied Technology and Genomics Center (PHT) located at Wright Patterson Air Force Base in Dayton OH. HJF provides scientific, technical and programmatic support services to USAFSAM/PHT.
Provides laboratory and technical support to senior technical and professional staff. Independently works on assigned projects with little to no supervision.
1. Perform basic to advanced molecular biology, virology, and microbiology laboratory procedures.
2. Must be able to collect and organize data; make detailed observations about experiments; provide data analysis and interpretation.
3. Assist supervisor in setting up new experimental procedures.
4. Independently troubleshoot and perform diverse types of molecular analyses
5. Must have experience in the following techniques: bacterial/viral isolation, bacterial culturing, PCR, RT-PCR, and Real-Time PCR
6. Assist with the writing and editing of experimental results for publication in technical and peer-reviewed journals, proposals, and presentations.
7. Assists with the preparation of protocols and SOPs.
8. Maintain clear and accurate laboratory records, inventories and logbooks.
9. Performs data entry for research projects, generates and maintains databases.
10. Maintains compliance with established laboratory safety and other procedures. Safely and properly disposes of infectious and hazardous materials.
11. Performs and/or coordinates maintenance on equipment.
12. Maintains inventory of supplies.
13. Present results/data in laboratory meetings.
14. Contributes to the team effort by accomplishing related duties as needed.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Knowledge in molecular biology/microbiology/virology laboratory techniques and safety procedures.
• Knowledge in the following laboratory equipment: Maxwell 16, MagMax, Nanodrop, Agilent Tapestation, Qubit, PCR thermal cyclers, ABI 7500 sequencers.
• Skill in use of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
• Able to learn Next Generation Sequencing
• Able to plan and prioritize work.
• Able to correctly transcribe laboratory results
• Able to develop and follow SOPs
• Able to be a self-starter and have the ability to work independently
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills, both verbal and written.
Minimum Education/Training Requirements: B.S. degree in biology, microbiology, virology. (Master’s Degree preferred).
Minimum Experience: 4 + years experience in a molecular research laboratory .NGS experience preferred.
Physical Capabilities: Requires long periods of working in a laboratory setting and/or at a computer; may lift materials weighing no more than 30 lbs.
Work Environment: Office and laboratory environment
Background: Eligibility to obtain a Common Access Card (CAC); eligibility to obtain and hold a Public Trust background.
Employment with HJF is contingent upon successful completion of a background check, which may include, but is not limited to, contacting your professional references, verification of previous employment, addresses, education, and credentials, a criminal background check, drug screening, and a department of motor vehicle (DMV) check.
HJF is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents, in lieu of stated minimums, require the prior approval of the Chief Human Resources Officer.