Join the HJF Team!
HJF is seeking a Research Associate to support the Viral and Rickettsial Diseases Department (VRDD) located at the Naval Medical Research Center (NMRC), Silver Spring, Maryland. HJF provides scientific, technical and programmatic support services to VRDD. The primary mission of the Viral and Rickettsial Diseases Department (VRDD) is to develop vaccines and therapeutics against viral and rickettsial diseases of military importance to aid military personnel in preventing and treating these diseases. The Department also conducts viral and rickettsial disease surveillance, and develops field-deployable diagnostic assays to aid military medical personnel in preventing, mitigating and diagnosing these diseases under military operational conditions. The Department is divided into two divisions. Because of the historic and current military impacts, the primary focus of the Viral Diseases Division is on the development of a vaccine to prevent dengue fever; the main objective of the Rickettsial Diseases Division is to develop a scrub typhus vaccine. US Citizenship is required.
1. Plans, conducts, and completes independent investigations under the supervision of the head of the laboratory. Assignments require the performance of complex laboratory tests, determinations, and analyses involving multiple procedures and a variety of technical approaches.
2. Performs pre-clinical animal experiments in small animals and non-human primates.
3. Performs literature searches and maintains organized laboratory records and notebooks as required.
4. Assists with the writing and editing of experimental methodologies and results for publication in technical and peer-reviewed journals.
5. Ensures data integrity and performs data analysis and interpretation.
6. Provides guidance to lower level laboratory staff.
7. Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: Knowledge of and experience in cell culture, animal handling, antibody and ELISPOT assays, among others. NextGen sequencing and chromatography based virus/protein purification experience is a plus. Must have good communication and analytical skills and the ability to meet project deadlines.
Minimum Education/Training Requirements: Master of Science in a related discipline.
Minimum Experience: 2 to 4 years of related research and animal handling experience.
Physical Capabilities: requires long periods of sitting and standing; handling of various chemicals
Supervisory Responsibilities/Controls: provides guidance to lower level laboratory staff.
Work Environment: laboratory environment
Background: It is a condition of employment that you obtain a favorable Tier 3 background investigation and fingerprint check by the Federal Government in order to receive and maintain a security clearance and Common Access Card (CAC) which is needed to access the facility and Government network systems. US Citizenship is required.
Employment with HJF is contingent upon successful completion of a background check, which may include, but is not limited to, contacting your professional references, verification of previous employment, addresses, education, and credentials, a criminal background check, drug screening, and a department of motor vehicle (DMV) check.
Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents, in lieu of stated minimums, require the prior approval of the Director of Human Resources.
HJF is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.