Join the HJF Team!
HJF is seeking a Research Assistant II to support the Military HIV Research Program (MHRP) located at the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research (WRAIR) in Silver Spring, Maryland. HJF provides scientific, technical and programmatic support services to MHRP. Responsible for research and/or development in collaboration with others for projects. Provides laboratory and technical support to senior technical and professional staff. HJF provides scientific, technical and programmatic support services to MHRP.
1. Performs molecular biology laboratory procedures/research, including collection and organization of data; makes detailed observations about experiments; performs basic data analysis and interpretation.
2. Extracts and purifies DNA and RNA; performs automated procedures using liquid handling instrumentation (BioMek NX and Eppendorf) with AmPure and CleanSeq technology; fragments DNA (Covaris ultrasonicator); quantitates (Nanodrop, Agilent, Qubit, and Quant-IT), aliquots, and maintains genomic DNA and RNA stocks and dilutions.
3. Sets up and performs Next Generation Sequencing using protocols specific for whole genome, amplicon, and RNA sequencing on Illumina instruments (MiSeq, NextSeq, HiSeq, NovaSeq)
4. Amplifies targets from DNA and RNA using PCR; performs fluorescent cycle sequencing using automated sequencing (ABI 3730xl sequencers) and Next Generation Sequencing platforms; analyzes and interprets sequencing information using computer-based software packages (e.g. Assign SBT, Omixon Target, GenDX, NGSengine, Sequencher, Mutation Surveyor).
5. Sets up and performs genotyping of samples using Fluidigm SNP assays and TaqMan PCR (7900 HT and 7500 instruments).
6. Amplifies targets from nucleic acid using PCR and clones into plasmid vector systems.
7. Assists with the preparation of technical reports, summaries, and protocols.
8. Maintains clear and accurate laboratory records, inventories and logbooks.
9. Performs data entry for research projects, generates and maintains databases.
10. Maintains compliance with established laboratory safety and other procedures. Safely and properly disposes of infectious and hazardous materials.
11. Provides quality control, trouble-shooting, and maintenance of specialized reagents and equipment.
12. Trains junior staff.
13. Presents results/data in weekly laboratory meetings
14. Maintains a safe and uncluttered work area with appropriate disposal of potentially infectious waste and chemical waste
15. Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: Knowledge of standard and advanced molecular biology laboratory techniques; solid computer literacy; ability to follow general instructions; good communication and analytical skills.
Minimum Education/Training Requirements: BS degree in molecular biology, microbiology, biochemistry, genetics, immunology, or cell biology; knowledge of basic molecular biology laboratory procedures, and ability to use hands effectively to perform technical procedures. Solid background in molecular biology principles and procedures, and experience employing genotyping techniques desired.
Minimum Experience: 2 to 4 years of laboratory experience
Physical Capabilities: long periods of standing and sitting; handling various chemicals
Work Environment: laboratory and computer work station environments
HJF is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents, in lieu of stated minimums, require the prior approval of the Director of Human Resources