Join the HJF Team!
Join the HJF team!
HJF is seeking Postdoctoral Fellow to support research in the laboratory of Dr. Prasanna Satpute-Krishnan in the Dept. of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology at the Uniformed Services University, Bethesda, MD. Responsible for carrying out research projects in collaboration with a research team aimed at understanding the molecular and cellular basis of protein quality control and protein misfolding diseases, using microscopy, genetic and biochemical techniques.
1. To design and execute experiments, and to keep detailed records of experimental procedures and results.
2. To develop and perform a broad range of laboratory techniques in pursuit of the research objective. Techniques include recombinant DNA methods such as molecular cloning, cell culture methods such as establishing stable cell lines and CRISPR, protein biochemistry methods such as radioactive pulse-chases, immunoprecipitation, proximity-tagging, SDS-PAGE and western blot, immunofluorescence and microscopy techniques including high resolution imaging and image analysis.
3. To develop expertise in the protein quality control field and present work at lab meetings, departmental seminars, and at scientific meetings.
4. To draft scientific papers for publication.
5. To contribute to the research environment, presenting research-related journal clubs or new techniques within lab meetings, contributing to lab discussions on on-going projects, and helping maintain lab resources.
6. To assist in training other members of the lab and the department, as needed.
7. To perform communal lab-duties including maintaining cleanliness and organization of laboratory areas, aliquoting reagents, and creating new reagents for lab stocks,.
8. To perform other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: Subject knowledge in cell and molecular biology, biochemistry or biophysics, as evidenced by publications in related peer-reviewed scientific journals. Competence in routine modern cellular and molecular biology techniques including mammalian cell culture, cell transfection, recombinant DNA technology, immunofluorescence, immunoprecipitation, immunoblotting and microscopy. Effective written and verbal communication skills.
Minimum Education/Training Requirements: PhD in Molecular & Cellular Biology, Biochemistry, Biophysics or related degree.
Minimum Experience: 0-2 years.
Physical Capabilities: Long periods of standing and sitting; intricate work with hands; carrying of light and moderately heavy laboratory equipment.
Work Environment: Laboratory environment. May involve working with biohazardous and radioactive materials. May require working evenings and weekend
HJF is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents, in lieu of stated minimums, require the prior approval of the Chief Human Resources Officer.