Join the HJF Team!
HJF is seeking a Technology Transfer Senior Associate for the Legal Department located at HJF Corporate Headquarters and the Uniformed Services University (USU) in Bethesda, Maryland.
The Technology Transfer Senior Associate supports agreement management, innovation opportunity identification, portfolio/project management, and development of collaboration and license opportunities for the USU-HJF Joint Office of Technology Transfer (JOTT). The Technology Transfer Senior Associate establishes a strong working relationship with USU and HJF researchers and leadership on technology transfer matters. The position is responsible for the management of technology transfer matters that include drafting, negotiation and execution of technology transfer agreements; managing technology development, licensing activities, education and outreach.
- Agreements: Drafts, negotiates, and facilitates execution of Cooperative Research and Development Agreements (CRADAs), Material Transfer Agreements (MTAs), Nondisclosure Agreements (NDAs), Data Use/Sharing Agreements (DUAs and DSAs), and any agreements pertinent to the tech transfer and commercialization process, with consideration to the scientific research plan and potential for development of new intellectual property.
- Engagement/Relationship Building & Management: Liaises with HJF and USU personnel, engages with external parties, and serves as advisor on technology transfer matters. Conducts outreach and educational programs for researchers on technology transfer agreement processes and on intellectual property and inventions. Participates in USU research activities, e.g., seminars, symposia and Research Day events, interfaces with USU staff to discuss research developments and understand new inventions and help inventors with the invention disclosures process. Engages with industry to identify projects of commercial relevance and cultivate strategic partnerships and commercialization and collaborative research opportunities.
- Technology Assessment: Works with researchers to develop and submit invention disclosures and collaborates, as needed, with other members of the technology transfer team to analyze same. Actively maintains an understanding of research priorities and developments driven by external environments (DoD, NIH, industry, etc.). Help facilitate the USU–HJF Joint Patent and Technology Review Group (JPTRG) meetings and assist inventors in preparation for JPTRG presentations and in follow-up review, assessment and feedback.
- Assists with other research development and outreach projects and non-JOTT tech transfer activities as needed. Works on special projects, assignments and other technology transfer matters, as requested. May perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned or directed by the supervisor. This may include attendance and participation in required training for role
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Experience: University or federal laboratory technology transfer experience; with research project management, patent process, or technology licensing exposure. Experience or exposure to drafting and negotiating technology transfer agreements; proven negotiation and communication skills and demonstrated experience in handling multiple tasks simultaneously. Experience with database software and internet searching; a working knowledge of Federal technology transfer legislation and policies is advantageous.
- Skills: Superior organizational skills, exacting attention to detail, and high-quality work standards with a demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize tasks, learn quickly and adapt to new circumstances. Excellent analytical, comprehension, interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Attributes: A team player who can operate independently when required; possesses an aptitude for analyzing biological and medical research with strong technical and business writing skills. Proactive, with a service-oriented approach and the ability to interact successfully with a broad range of professionals, from researchers to support staff, to senior executives. Ability to work effectively, be proactive, persistent, persuasive and resilient under pressure, and with constant and concurrent deadlines.
Education: Master’s degree in biomedical sciences or a related discipline required. Doctoral degree preferred. Tech transfer and commercialization experience with a legal or business background and experience in medical/life sciences may substitute for bioscience education.
Work Experience: 3 – 5 Years of relevant work experience.
Environment: Office setting.
Employment with HJF is contingent upon successful completion of a background check, which may include, but is not limited to, contacting your professional references, verification of previous employment, addresses, education, and credentials, a criminal background check, drug screening, and a department of motor vehicle (DMV) check.
HJF is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents, in lieu of stated minimums, require the prior approval of the Chief Human Resources Officer.