Join the HJF Team!
HJF is seeking an Administrative Assistant to support the department of Anatomy, Physiology and Genetics (APG) at the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences in Bethesda, MD. HJF provides scientific, technical and programmatic support services to APG.
The Administrative Assistant performs a wide range of administrative and clerical duties for a department or department manager. Work assignments may be complex in nature and moderate judgment is required in resolving problems.
- The incumbent provides assistance to the USUHS Department of Physiology Chairperson and key departmental staff. Provides administrative support in a diverse, multitasking environment.
- Coordinates with other USUHS offices and departments, such as Multi-Discipline (MDL) and administrative services to provide duplicating, audio-visual support, forms, handbooks and supplies to course preceptors and students throughout the academic year. Orders teaching materials inventories.
- Screens calls and visitors to the office, referring to staff members and forwarding to the Chairperson only those calls or visitors requiring the Chairperson's attention.
- Handles many requests for information and resolves or assists in resolving a variety of complaints or problems.
- Follows up on deadlines and commitments, providing status reports and reminders to the department staff.
- Coordinates departmental meetings to include establishing schedule, preparing and distributing agenda, logistics, reserving and acquiring audio-visual equipment and related training/teaching aids, etc.
- Handles receiving activities for items purchased through the University’s acquisition process.
- Types a wide variety of documents, including correspondence, reports, student teaching materials, etc. Uses a personal computer with various software packages such as electronic spreadsheet, word processing, database management, etc. Assures correct format, accuracy of spelling, grammar, punctuation, etc., presence of enclosures, etc., on all documentation prepared by the incumbent.
- Assignments involve making decisions on what needs to be done and how it should be done based on the programs, goals, priorities, and commitments of the Chairperson and the Department in order to meet diverse and time sensitive multitasking requirements.
- The incumbent ensures that the clerical and administrative work are accomplished effectively in accordance with established procedures. Work involves specialized procedures related to compiling data, providing information based on experience and mature judgment gained through extensive on-the-job training.
- Maintains departmental forms, letterhead and envelop stock in main office, overall supplies for the department and paper stock in copiers.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: Knowledge of proper grammar, punctuation, spelling, etc.; excellent communication skills; ability to type at least 60 wpm, operate a computer, and effectively communicate with a diverse group of people
Minimum Education/Training Requirements: Associate's degree preferred
Minimum Experience: 0-2 year’s office experience
Work Environment: Office environment.
Background: Eligibility to obtain a Common Access Card (CAC); eligibility to obtain and hold a Public Trust background.
Employment with HJF is contingent upon successful completion of a background check, which may include, but is not limited to, contacting your professional references, verification of previous employment, addresses, education, and credentials, a criminal background check, drug screening, and a department of motor vehicle (DMV) check.
HJF is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents, in lieu of stated minimums, require the prior approval of the Chief Human Resources Officer.