Join the HJF Team!
HJF is seeking a Computer Specialist to support the Office of the Vice President for Information & Education Technology located at the Uniformed Services University (USU) in Bethesda, MD. HJF provides scientific, technical and programmatic support services to USU.
The position works within the Office of the Vice President for Information & Education Technology, Office of the Chief Information Officer (OCIO), Customer Support Division, IT Service Desk (ISD) Department, Sakai Support Team.
- Sakai Help Desk Support Specialist will provide direct support to Sakai course directors to establish and manage courses on the University’s Saki Collaborative Learning Environment at main and satellite campuses. The specialist will work in conjunction with the USU Sakai support team including the technology trainer. Instructional designers and Sakai/Kuali developers.
- Create Sakai user accounts for USU, Navy and all supported entities.
- Add Sakai users to courses.
- Create new courses and import course date from pervious course iterations.
- Coordinate with Schools and Departments to establish the courses to be created for each academic team.
- Provide Tier I support at the IT Service Desk to Faculty and students with Sakai questions. Respond to requests at first contact or refer to development staff.
- Respond to password reset requests generated through Sakai Help and CMDB.
- Manage faculty access and roles for specific courses.
- Develop HTML/Web content as necessary to support individual course objectives.
- The Help Desk Specialist will update courses with URLS for lecture capture content.
- The incumbent will provide Tier I support to students and faculty in the use of Sakai’s open source portfolio tools in conjunction with the technology trainer and OSP developer. The incumbent will provide first contact response to queries on portfolio use, configuration, forms and wizards. More in-depth questions will be resolved by the development staff.
- Provide customer service support for office automation applications, personal computers, and printers, answers, evaluates, and prioritizes incoming telephone, voicemail, e-mail, and in-person requests for assistance from users experiencing problems with hardware, software, networking, and other computer-related technologies. Researches and recommends hardware and software solutions to customers.
- Utilize the Service Desk ticketing system to track information technology issues reported by end users, troubleshoot, report/record/track/trouble calls, prioritize and resolve technical issues using standard operation procedures; diagnose reported hardware, software, and network problems. Resolves or repairs if possible and contacts additional technical support as necessary. Provides procedural guidance, demonstrates, and provides direction on various systems.
- Develop and maintain Sakai standard operating procedures and documentation.
- Continues to improve technical expertise through identification of new technical alternatives to resolve problems and/or general improvements.
- Accurately documents and reports problems to technical staff for resolution. Alerts management to recurring problems and patterns of problems.
- Use interpersonal skills to work with a variety of management and technical personal both within and outside of the university, conduct basic training sessions, documentation and work with user community, and wide knowledge of industry trends and emerging technologies.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Trains other staff members to perform the essential tacks as needed.
Requires Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: Knowledge of Sakai Learning Management System, Google Suite, Active Directory, Account Management, Adobe Connect, CA Service Desk, CAITCM, Microsoft Applications, encryption applications, Windows O/S for desktop/server and MacOS, hardware and software, installation, maintenance and upgrades.
Excellent verbal and written skills; and customer service skills required.
Ability to work in teams. Incumbent will work directly with application developers, database administrators, consultants and instructional design personnel.
Minimum Education/Training Requirements: Candidates for this position must be a college graduate with a degree in computers/information systems preferred. Experience supporting an academic computing environment is desired. Candidate must be able to demonstrate strong internet skills and routine utilization of the interest to perform daily tacks. A+ Certification, Security + certification preferred.
Minimum Experience: 0-2 years of computer-related experience
Physical Capabilities: Sitting, standing, walking and traveling to off sites; some carrying of computer equipment; able to lift 20lbs.
Required Licenses, Certification or Registration: Security + certification required; able to obtain withint 1 year of employment.
Supervisory Responsivities/Controls: Reports to Department Branch Chief
Work Environment: Office setting, some telework is authorized
* Must be a U.S. citizen and must be able to obtain a Secret Clearance
HJF is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents, in lieu of stated minimums, require the prior approval of the Chief Human Resources Officer.