This job posting is no longer active
Join the HJF Team!
HJF is seeking a Dietician to support the research study “Targeted Alteration in omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids for post-traumatic headache (Nutrition for PTH)” at the TBI clinic at the Intrepid Spirit in Fort Belvoir Community Hospital (FBCH) loctaed in Fort Belvoir, Viriginia. HJF provides scientific, technical and programmatic support services to FBCH.
Responsibilities are to perform as FBCH study dietician under the head research dietician at UNC and assist the WRNMMC study dietician as required. Study dietician primary duties are to provide nutrition information and counseling, maintain the diet study database and store and provide research food to study participants in support of the study and by following study protocols. Provides nutritional education and counseling to patients participating in the DoD-funded multi-site study. Supplemental duties are to provide nutrition information and services to TBI patients at FBCH to promote and maintain proper nutritional practices to address special health needs and maintain a healthy life style.
1. Schedules, interviews, and determines the eligibility of patients to participate in the research study, “Targeted Alteration in omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids for post-traumatic headache (Nutrition for PTH)” at FBCH, a multi-site study at WRNMMC, FBCH and WAMC.
2. Provides nutritional counseling primarily one-on-one but also in group sessions to meet the needs of the research study to ensure that patients are aware of the study nutritional needs and limitations. The study dietician will meet with enrolled subjects every two weeks either in person or by video-teleconferencing, and will carry out study dietician role under the guidance of the head study research dietician.
3. Maintains study food storage and prepares study food packages for study participants for every 2-week pick-ups.
4. Reviews study food diaries and counsels study participants regarding study diet and enters data into study database.
5. Helps maintain and update research records and study database of all patients participating in the research study.
6. Meets regularly with FBCH study staff and attends regular conference calls with study investigators.
7. Provides study back-up to WRNMMC study dietician as needed.
8. Presents nutrition education classes so that participants are well informed about nutrition.
9. Performs basic lab procedures including health backgrounds to determine patients' nutritional
10. Selects and develops nutrition education materials.
Nonessential Job Duties:
1. Provides instruction to clerical staff affiliated with the program.
2. Performs other duties as needed.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: Thorough knowledge of nutrition education; ability to develop nutritional education plans and determine which nutritional formulas are correct for patients; excellent interpersonal and communication skills
Minimum Education/Training Requirements: Master's degree in nutrition
Minimum Experience: 4 to 6 years’ experience in nutrition education
Physical Capabilities: May require lifting of heavy objects
Required Licenses, Certification or Registration: Registered with the American Dietetic Association
Supervisory Responsibilities/Controls: May supervise clerical staff
Work Environment: Office, hospital or clinical environment
Travel: Requires regular travel to WRNMMC.
Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents, in lieu of stated minimums, require the prior approval of the Director of Human Resources.
HJF is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.