Join the HJF Team!
HJF is seeking a Systems Engineer for the IT Operations Department located at the Corporate Headquarters in Bethesda, Maryland.
HJF IT Services designs, deploys and manages information systems used throughout Foundation supported administrative, laboratory, and clinical activities. The Windows Systems Engineer, as part of the IT Operations team, designs, maintains and monitors Windows based systems and Citrix based application and desktop virtualization services supporting research and administrative activities under the direction of the Director, Information Technology Operations who establishes and provides general guidelines and overall priorities. The Systems Engineer works independently; establishes internal priorities, work schedules and goals and uses her own initiative and sound judgment. Work is evaluated based on results achieved towards established goals and requirements, timeliness, application of sound business practice and efficient use of resources.
- Act as lead technical resource for Microsoft Windows operating system based servers and services supporting HJF business and research systems.
- Act as a lead technical resource for Citrix based application and desktop virtualization services supporting HJF business and research systems
- Plan, design, deploy and support Microsoft Windows based file, print, identity, web, application and security servers and services.
- Architect and deploy centralized domain architecture, group policies, and services.
- Design and deploy role based delegation to IT Services support staff for administrative duties.
- Design and Administer Microsoft Exchange environment, including role based delegation to other IT staff.
- Plan and design high availability and disaster recovery for critical services and systems
- Plan, design, secure and improve the Foundation's Citrix infrastructure.
- Aid and drive collaboration by providing influence, advice and expertise in available tools and resources.
- Oversee and review research, analysis, planning and engineering of Microsoft based servers, services, components and/or enhancements to environment.
- Works with senior engineer peers from network engineering, unix/linux, etc. to develop and lead the implementation of technical solutions/strategies to improve service and performance of HJF business and research systems
- Perform site visits as needed to HJF-supported activities in order to interact with users and anticipate needs. Provide training to IT Services support staff as required for them to support Windows and Citrix based services.
- Ability to manage projects and lead initiatives with minimal direction from beginning to end.
- Solve shared systems and service related issues as they arise.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience and expertise as a network architect designing, configuring and managing networks of moderate complexity and scale providing local (wired and wireless) and wide area connectivity including VPN, VLAN, QoS, and VoIP services over switched and routed networks.
- Advanced skills in Ethernet switched and routed networks and related performance tuning, troubleshooting and problem solving.
- Advanced skills with network device management and monitoring, including excellent command line skills and facility with UNIX/Linux operating systems.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills to work with a wide variety of personnel of varied technical knowledge.
Minimum Education/Training Requirements: Bachelor's degree with 10 or more years of related experience.
Physical Capabilities: Able to communicate verbally, ability to write and prepare documents in a variety of forms, ability to move within the work site, ability to travel to and move within supported sites.
Required Licenses, Certification or Registration: Vendor training/certification preferred (e.g. Cisco CCIE) but not required.
Supervisory Responsibilities/Controls: Incumbent reports to Chief Technology Officer
Work Environment: Office environment; some local travel is required.
HJF is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents, in lieu of stated minimums, require the prior approval of the Chief Human Resources Officer.