Join the HJF Team!
The Henry M. Jackson Foundation for the Advancement of Military Medicine, Inc. (HJF) is seeking a Histopathology Research Assistant II for the Gynecologic Cancer Center of Excellence (GYN-COE) Program located at the Women’s Health Integrated Research Center at Inova Health System in Annandale, Virginia. HJF provides scientific, technical and programmatic support services to GYN-COE.
The hours for this full time position are 7am-3:30pm.
- Performs standard tissue processing, paraffin embedding, microtomy, hematoxylin and eosin staining, and coverslipping following standard operating procedures.
- Performs and documents all histology laboratory related Quality Control activities to include assurance that slide labels accurately reflect cassette case numbers.
- Perform daily maintenance of all equipment and instruments in the histology laboratory, prepare reagent controls and determine if instruments and equipment functions are acceptable.
- Maintains a safe work environment following approved safety practice in the work area including removal of all chemical waste. Keep workplace clean and free from clutter. Cleans up after completion of work
- Performs cassette/slides labeling. Record completed work in laboratory database.
- Monitors supplies and reagents. Communicate with appropriate staff when ordering is required.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Competency in microtomy, embedding and staining of formalin-fixed paraffin embedded tissues.
- Maintain effective communication including verbal and written skills, and articulate concerns and updates in a professional manner.
- Complete all assigned tasks in a timely manner.
- Work proficiently in a fluctuating work environment, including maintaining productivity during laboratory down-time.
- Embrace new duties when needed, following appropriate instruction and supervision.
- Perform basic computer skills, including Microsoft Outlook and Microsoft Office.
- Understand and articulate basic medical terminology and laboratory functions
Minimum Education/Training Requirements: Bachelor’s degree required.
Minimum Experience: 2-4 years’ work experience at high volume pathology laboratory.
Physical Capabilities: Long periods of standing and sitting; intricate work with hands; carrying of light laboratory equipment
Required Licenses, Certification or Registration: HTL Required. Registered by the ASCP
Work Environment: Laboratory environment with potentially infectious materials and hazardous chemicals.
HJF is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents, in lieu of stated minimums, require the prior approval of the Chief Human Resources Officer.