Come Work at HJF!
HJF is seeking a Vice President of Communications to lead the Communications Department located at the Corporate Headquarters in Bethesda, Maryland. Reporting to the HJF Senior Vice President Strategic Initiatives, the Vice President of Communications will set and guide the strategy for all written and visual communications, websites, and public relations messages and collateral to consistently articulate HJF's mission. The Vice President of Communications will work closely within HJF as the communications partner on a variety of strategic initiatives to include communications with the Council of Directors, customers, collaborators, the Department of Defense and other government officials and the media. The Vice President of Communications will at all times endeavor to communicate that HJF is the partner of choice to advance military medicine.
- Directs, develops, implements and regularly evaluates HJF’s overall strategic communications, marketing and branding plans across a variety of audiences in collaboration with the HJF Council of Directors, Executive Staff, other HJF staff, advisors and key stakeholders.
- Oversees and coordinates messaging and branding across HJF and through appropriate military and other government public affairs offices.
- Facilitates a collaborative work environment across HJF in order to make decisions on who, where, when and how to disseminate appropriate communications.
- Manages development, writing, design, distribution and maintenance of all print, electronic, audio and visual media including, but not limited to, newsletters, brochures, annual report, presentations, videos, reports, e-newsletters, branded items, social media and HJF's website, all of which should be geared to promote the engagement of HJF employees, Council of Directors, current and prospective customers, collaborators, partners and the general public.
- Proactively monitors, assesses and reports on the military and political climate related to HJF and its mission to advance military medicine. Provides support in drafting, editing and reviewing of HJF’s responses to congressional requests for information, briefings and hearings, and draft, track, and manages DoD/legislative affairs reporting requirements.
- Provides analysis and evaluation of relevant legislation or provision or funding initiatives, which affect HJF. Works with HJF leadership to serve as a key liaison with congressional staff and members.
- Coordinates and organizes meetings, which engage HJF’s current and prospective customers, partners and other stakeholders.
- Establishes and maintains media relationships and manages all media contacts.
- Develops and disseminates domestic and international crises communications strategies and directs all communications during crisis events.
- Establishes and reports on metrics to gauge the effectiveness of strategic communication plan initiatives.
- Establishes the appropriate budget for the Communications Department to ensure annual and long-term communication needs are addressed. Monitors, proactively addresses and informs Leadership Team of any possible budget concerns.
- Supervises, coaches, develops and provides oversight to HJF’s internal written and design communications team, and oversees the activities of external communications consultants.
- Complete other projects and job duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: In depth knowledge of communications, marketing and public relations, with experience in graphic design, print, web, electronic presentation and video and other multimedia production. Well-developed interpersonal and presentation skills with press relations experience. The ability to transform others’ institutional knowledge into impactful and useful messages, and disseminate it to appropriate audiences via the most suitable distribution channels is critical.
Specific requirements include:
- Highly collaborative style with strong interpersonal skills and the ability to gain consensus from various factions; experience developing and implementing communication strategies
- Adaptable to be able to recover quickly from an unexpected turn of events and to embrace change
- A strong track record as a leader with the ability to think strategically, and translate thoughts and ideas into actions
- Relationship builder with the flexibility and finesse to "manage by influence"
- Leadership skills with the ability to serve as a unifying force and to position communications and design discussions at both the strategic and tactical levels
- Self-starter, able to work independently and as an entrepreneur; enjoy mentoring others and creating and implementing new initiatives
Minimum Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing, Communications or related field
Minimum Experience: 15 or more years of experience in the communications field; 5 years in a supervisory role leading a corporate communications department
Physical Capabilities: Requires long hours of sitting and working at a computer
Supervisory Responsibilities: Supervises all staff in the Communications Department (to include design team).
Work Environment: Primarily office, however, may include some travel to HJF sites, both domestic and international.
HJF is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents, in lieu of stated minimums, require the prior approval of the Chief Human Resources Officer.