Come Work at HJF!
HJF is seeking a Proposal Writer to support the Research Initiatives Office located at the Corporate Headquarters in Bethesda, Maryland. Reporting to the Senior Proposal Manager, the incumbent will be responsible for the written
, content in corporate-initiated proposals (including contract proposals, cooperative and assistance agreements, etc.). Working within the Research Initiatives Office, the Proposal Writer will interface with other business units and departments within the Foundation to produce high quality, winning proposals. The incumbent will be part of a dynamic and growing team that plays a vital role ensuring the success and growth of the HJF mission.
- Write and edit responses to federal Requests for Proposals as well as other procurement vehicles.
- Create, develop and manage proposal sections in compliance the RFP requirement (adhering to the outline/compliance matrix) – capturing the winning strategy, functions/features of our approach, win themes, identified discriminators, and customer hot buttons (Will also write responsive and convincing proposals and presentation materials.
- Develop original material including, but not limited to:
- Past Performance volumes
- Relevant Experience summaries
- Executive Summary
- Management Approach
- Transition Plans
- Risk Mitigation
- Quality Control Plans
- Staffing Plans.
- Manage resume writing, review and formatting; maintain resume portfolio/library.
- Design writing templates (e.g., Word templates) and other tools to produce content for various proposal volumes.
- Incorporate visuals, graphics and tables into proposal volumes (using PowerPoint, Visio, Word, Excel)
- Copy editing and proofreading – including editing the final proposal document and preparing for book check.
- Responsible for overall document consistency, clarity and accuracy – resulting in a consistent voice for the final product.
- Participate in proposal color reviews – incorporate edits.
- Creates and manages department library (including Past Performance Library) and style guide.
- Completes other projects as needed.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- 2-5 years writing experience in business writing environment; marketing or proposal/business writing in federal market.
- Knowledge of and familiarity with Shipley Business Proposal Writing.
- Expert knowledge of MS Word, PowerPoint, Adobe Acrobat and other office automation.
- Strong writing skills, research and communication skills – namely a command of grammar, syntax, diction and the conventions and best practices of business writing. Must be able to convey complex thoughts and themes in clear, simple easy to understand writing.
- Highly organized and detail oriented with a commitment to follow-through.
- Able to work independently, with minimal direction/oversight; must be a self-starter with demonstrated initiative.
- Must have ability to find creative solutions to problems and challenges.
- Able to interact effectively with all levels of an organization.
- Able to function effectively as a member of a team.
- Able to work well under pressure and high tolerance for the unexpected or unplanned also must be able to work flexible hours to meet tight deadlines.
- Ability to multitask – manage multiple writing assignments simultaneously while meeting all deadlines.
Minimum Education/Training Requirements: 4-year degree in business writing field (marketing, communications, sales, business writing).
Minimum Experience: 3-5years equivalent work in Federal Government proposal environment.
Required Licenses, Certification or Registration: Proposal Writing Training program (Shipley) is a plus.
Work Environment: Office.
HJF is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents, in lieu of stated minimums, require the prior approval of the Chief Human Resources Officer.