Join the HJF Team!
HJF is seeking a Proposal Manager to manage the overall proposal development process in support of the Business Development Office located at the Corporate Headquarters in Bethesda, Maryland. The Proposal Manager manages the entire proposal lifecycle including but not limited to outline, schedule, writing and volume development and management, production, submission and post-submission.
Reporting to the Senior Proposal Manager, the incumbent will be responsible for the complete process/overall management for federal Request for Proposals (RFPs) and certain other corporate-initiated proposal projects (including cooperative and assistance agreements) for military research related objectives. The Proposal Manager will work as part the BD team as well as work with many other parts of the organization to produce high-quality winning proposals for HJF. The incumbent will be part of a dynamic and growing team that plays a vital role ensuring the success and growth of the HJF mission.
- Working knowledge of military, proposal development, Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR), and government contracting.
- Ability to manage multiple proposals simultaneously, often with fast turnaround times.
- Facilitate information flow between program members (onsite and HJF headquarters Program Managers, onsite staff, etc.); scientific directors; principal investigators; other business units; and executive level managers inside and outside of the Foundation during proposal preparation, execution and sustainment.
- Ability to completely analyze RFPs [and other federal procurement opportunities such as Request for Quote (RFQ), Request for Information (RFI) and Sources Sought]; create schedule/timeline and enforce adherence to schedule for submission of proposal; create a detailed outline and compliance/cross-reference matrix to assist other team members in writing proposal sections; and write sections as necessary.
- Initiate and lead all proposal meetings including kickoff, color review teams, lessons learned and debriefs.
- Employ excellent communication and leadership skills to manage proposal teams.
- Direct Proposal/Technical Writers and SMEs in other duties such as infusing win themes, discriminators, and win strategy into final product, providing guidance to proposal team members on proposal methodologies. Direct proposal writer(s)/subject matter experts (SMEs) and other proposal team members in developing compliant sections; collect and edit sections after each review from the executive team; maintain version control; create and maintain folders for frequently used, common proposal sections; assist in creating/maintaining proposal library; review and edit entire proposal for compliance and format and overall presentation; search online for RFP postings/amendments etc. (fedbizops.gov).
- Participate in recruiting activities for required key personnel.
- Oversee all administrative functions in support of the proposal production (covers, binders, layout, etc.).
- Submit proposals electronically, hand-deliver to local federal agencies, or FedEx out of state submissions with receipts.
- Assists with creating new business growth, leading proposal development, supervising and providing guidance to the proposal team members. Supports client services and marketing activities.
- Participates in Capture/Business Development activities that include developing win theme strategies/solutions, bidder’s comparison, weakness mitigation, etc.
- Provide advice on capture/business development activities, work flow, and operational procedures to increase efficiency, productivity, and make overall improvements in the proposal development process.
- Participates in the decision-making process between customers and all Foundation staff participants.
- Other duties as assigned by the Senior Proposal Manager to support Foundation operations and initiatives.
- Completes other projects as needed.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: A thorough understanding of the proposal process including development of technical approach, management/risk plans and past performance citations/write-ups; Knowledge/expertise of proposal development process, organizational objectives, office automation; Must be a self-starter and have demonstrated initiative ability to find creative solutions to problems and challenges; Highly organized with attention to detail and commitment to follow through; Ability to work independently with minimal direct oversight as well as pull together and direct cross functional, matrixed teams toward a common goal; Ability to use sound judgment in solving problems; Ability to coordinate many complex systems and programs at the same time; Knowledge of the federal budget process; Excellent communication and interpersonal skills; Ability to work well under pressure and high tolerance for the unexpected or unplanned also must be able to work flexible hours to meet tight deadlines when necessary.
Minimum Education/Training Requirements: Bachelors’ Degree
Minimum Experience: 5 years government/federal RFP/RFQ/RFI experience and proposal development.
Required Licenses, Certification or Registration: Project management or other proposal management certifications are a plus.
Work Environment: Office.
HJF is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents, in lieu of stated minimums, require the prior approval of the Director of Human Resources.