Join the HJF Team!
HJF is seeking a Scientific Program Manager to support the Center for Rehabilitation Sciences Research in the Department of Rehabilitative Medicine located at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center (WRNMMC) in Bethesda, Maryland. HJF provides scientific, technical and programmatic support services to CRSR.
The incumbent will coordinate national multi-site consortium(s) to examine the clinical, biological, physiological, and genetic expression after sustaining a traumatic brain injury (TBI). Study will include internal/external stakeholders from the military and collegiate level who will investigate biological markers to illuminate the prognosis and predictors of risk and resilience to TBI. Incumbent is responsible for developing and supervising assigned research projects and investigating the feasibility of applying scientific principles and concepts. Incumbent will also provide program administrative oversight in order to maximize the effective use of project resources across a portfolio of research projects. Specific areas include: budget and accounting, personnel management, regulatory affairs, contracts/awards, and purchasing.
1. Formulates hypotheses, designs and implements protocols.
2. Develops necessary new technologies and associated protocols.
3. Collects, processes and interprets experimental data.
4. Trains and supervises technical staff and junior level staff researchers.
5. Coordinates with other technical and professional staff.
6. Prepares funding documents, written reports, manuscripts for submission to scientific journals, and patent applications.
7. Provides collaborative assistance to other Research Scientists.
8. Facilitates information flow between key stakeholders (which may include but are not limited to: study personnel, program members, directors, collaborators, USU/WRNMMC, and the Foundation).
9. Develops, executes and manages the budget for the TBI project and others in the assigned project portfolio.
10. Provides advice on manpower utilization, work flow, and operational procedures to increase efficiency, productivity, and make overall improvements for the TBI project. Analyzes costs and pricing data submitted by the contract centers to verify and substantiate direct and indirect costs.
11. Prepares requests for contract actions and proposals. Assures full compliance with all contract requirements, schedules, and provisions. Coordinates and approves the initiation and processing of purchase orders, supply sources, work orders and maintenance and renovation requests. Authorizes payment of invoices.
12. Coordinates, and conducts personnel actions and furnishes guidance and assistance as needed.
13. Ensures all studies are within IRB and HIPAA compliance, facilitating requirements across institutions.
14. Maintains a safe work environment with appropriate training of other personnel.
15. Completes other projects as needed.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: Knowledge of applicable complex scientific procedures and techniques; excellent communication skills; ability to troubleshoot technical procedures; ability to work independently and supervise others
Minimum Education/Training Requirements: PhD in related scientific discipline
Minimum Experience: 2 to 6 years related research experience
Physical Capabilities: work involves long periods of standing and handling of numerous chemicals
Required Licenses, Certification or Registration: n/a
Supervisory Responsibilities/Controls: supervises technical support staff
Work Environment: laboratory environment; may require working evenings and weekends; may involve working with biohazardous materials
*This position requires US Citizenship*
HJF is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents, in lieu of stated minimums, require the prior approval of the Director of Human Resources