Join the HJF Team!
HJF is seeking a Research Assistant to support the Synthetic Biology for Military Environments Project, 711th Human Performance Wing, Air Force Research Laboratory, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base (WPAFB), located in Dayton, Ohio. HJF provides scientific, technical and programmatic support services to WPAFB.
Incumbent will be responsible for assisting sequencing, genomics, and bioinformatic analysis. Provides laboratory and technical support to senior technical and professional staff in experiments involving sample collection (for various studies, blood, tissue, fecal, or other types), cell culture, cell imaging, gene expression profiling and genome-wide genotyping studies and other molecular biology techniques.
1. Provides technical support in animal experiments, tissues collection and dissection.
2. Performs DNA and RNA isolation and manipulation using molecular biology techniques, target preparations for gene expression profiling and genome-wide genotyping using DNA microarrays, conducting GeneChip hybridization, staining and scanning, and data capturing.
3. Provides technical support in processing and analysis of experimental data, and validation of microarray results using qRT-PCR.
4. Performs data entry for research projects and maintains clear and accurate laboratory records, inventories and logbooks.
5. Animal handling, survival and non-survival procedures, dosing and sacrifice
6. Assists in the preparation of technical reports, summaries, and protocols.
7. Grows and maintains cell cultures including bacterial cells
8. Performs diverse biochemical assays.
9. Performs immunohistochemistry techniques using diverse samples
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: Experience in rodent brain dissection to isolate specific brain regions; knowledge in molecular biology procedures including DNA and RNA isolation, cDNA synthesis, in vitro transcription, ligation, restriction digestion, PCR, GeneChip hybridization and detection, experience in cell culture techniques, microbiology and in-vitro toxicology; good communication and analytical skills; proficient in computer and word processing, spreadsheet and presentation software.
Minimum Education/Training Requirements: Bachelor’s degree in biological science
Minimum Experience: 1 to 2 years’ experience
Physical Capabilities: Long periods of standing and sitting; handling various chemical
Required Licenses, Certification or Registration: N/A
Supervisory Responsibilities/Controls: N/A
Work Environment: Research laboratory environment
Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents, in lieu of stated minimums, require the prior approval of the Director of Human Resources.