This job posting is no longer active
Come Work at HJF!
HJF is seeking a Research Assistant to support the Immunology Program of the Viral and Rickettsial Diseases Department (VRDD), Infectious Diseases Directorate (IDD). Responsible for initiating and carrying out research projects in collaboration with the research team.
1. Designs, executes, and implements scientific research and/or development.
2. Collects and handles samples and keeps detailed records of experiments.
3. Develops necessary new technologies and protocols.
4. Processes and interprets experimental data.
5. Coordinates with other technical and professional staff.
6. Helps with preparing written reports, manuscripts for submission to scientific journals, and presentations for scientific meetings.
7. Performs highly skilled and specialized laboratory research utilizing experimental protocols which will involve specialized procedures including: cell culture experience, BSL-2 experience, molecular assays such as RNA extraction, molecular analysis of specific RNA transcripts by quantitative RT-PCR analysis, and viral viremia determination; animal handling techniques including animal injections, animal bio-sampling, and animal immunizations; familiarity with flow cytometry systems; and familiarity with immunological assays such as ELISA, ELISpot, Luminex, and T and B cell sub-setting. Protocol writing and data analysis experience required.
9. Maintains a safe work environment with appropriate training of other personnel.
10. Provides collaborative assistance to other Research Scientists that require the incumbent's expertise.
11. Completes other projects as needed.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: Knowledge of applicable complex scientific procedures and techniques; cell culture experience, strong bench work experience, experience with immuno assays such as ELISA and ELISpot, ability to analyze and interpret data; excellent oral and written communication skills; ability to troubleshoot technical procedures; ability to work independently and supervise others.
Minimum Education/Training Requirements: Bachelor’s degree in immunology, virology, microbiology, biology, or related discipline; Master's degree preferred.
Minimum Experience: 2 to 4 years related research experience; 1 plus years of small animal handling experience.
Physical Capabilities: Work involves long periods of standing and handling of numerous chemicals.
Work Environment: Laboratory environment; may require working evenings and weekends; may involve working with biohazardous materials.
HJF is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents, in lieu of stated minimums, require the prior approval of the Director of Human Resources.