Come Work at HJF!
HJF is seeking a Staff Scientist to support the Molecular Bioeffects Branch in the Airman Systems Directorate at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio. Incumbent is responsible for initiating, planning, and overseeing research execution for a diverse analytical chemical separation and analysis laboratory by providing knowledge and collaboration for fundamental and applied toxicology and molecular bioeffects research projects.
- Supports the analytical chemistry group in designing and developing customized assays for strategic analysis of biological samples.
- Coordinates/collaborates with AFRL Principal Investigators and external research teams to develop and optimize experimental discovery assays for various funded research projects.
- Responsible for continuous functionality and usability of analytical equipment and maintaining the analytical laboratory.
- Performs analyses of in vitro and in vivo samples using proteomics workflows and other targeted biomarker assays.
- Formulates experimental hypotheses and designs experimental protocols.
- Develops necessary new technologies and protocols.
- Processes and interprets experimental data.
- Trains and assists technical staff in laboratory project protocols, operation of numerous sophisticated analytical instruments, laboratory management and organization.
- Prepares funding documents, written reports, manuscripts for submission to scientific journals, and patent applications.
- Maintains a safe work environment with appropriate training of other personnel.
- Provides collaborative assistance to other Research Scientists that require the incumbent's expertise.
- Completes other projects as needed.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Application of complex scientific procedures and techniques; excellent communication skills; ability to troubleshoot technical procedures and equipment; ability to work independently and lead analytical teams.
- Specific knowledge of chromatographic and mass spectrometric techniques, especially mass spectrometry-based proteomics. Familiarity with the following equipment:
- Gas and Liquid Chromatography: (current facility equipment: UPLC, nanoLC, GC, and HPLC)
- Mass spectrometry: (current facility equipment: Orbitrap Velos, Q-Exactive, Triple Quadrupole, Linear Ion Trap, MALDI-TOF/TOF)
- Must be capable of working on multiple projects concurrently.
Minimum Education/Training Requirements: PhD in related scientific discipline
Minimum Experience: 4 to 6 years related research experience
Physical Capabilities: Work involves long periods of standing and handling of numerous chemicals
Supervisory Responsibilities/Controls: Supervises laboratory technical support staff
Work Environment: Laboratory environment; may require working evenings and weekends; may involve working with biohazardous materials
HJF is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents, in lieu of stated minimums, require the prior approval of the Director of Human Resources.