Come Work at HJF!
HJF is seeking a Technical Advisor to support the Strategic Initiatives Office (SI), located in Bethesda, Maryland. Reporting to and working in close collaboration with the Senior Capture Manager of RIO, the Capture Manager is responsible for directing and managing large strategic pursuits in collaboration with Contracts, Program Management, HR, Pricing, and Proposal leads. The incumbent will develop new research opportunities for HJF. This newly created position will work out of the HJF San Antonio Office to develop and maintain key customer relationships in the U.S. Central Region with the Department of Defense (DoD) research facilities that are built on the themes of trust and excellence. The Capture Manager will become a valued technical advisor to military investigators on developing proposals, finding funding opportunities, and discussing strategies that will enable HJF to further its military medical and scientific mission. The Capture Manager will bolster HJF efforts to raise awareness of HJF research services across our Central Region client base, build strategic relationships with our existing clients as a trusted advisor, work in a cross functional environment to ensure HJF efforts to achieve client goals are ultimately implemented, and identify a variety of research opportunities.
HJF is a not-for-profit organization that Congress authorized to be established to support military medicine. A mission focused organization; HJF provides research support services with emphasis on scientific leadership, research and development, test and evaluation, basic, translational, and clinical research, and program management. We understand the importance of the work we support and how it directly affects the health of the warfighter. As a trusted partner, we work side by side with our clients, providing honest counsel and innovative solutions to high-priority medical research challenges.
The incumbent must have a true passion for HJF's military medicine mission and clients, exercise sound business judgment, and be an effective multi-tasker and a strategic thinker with extraordinary attention to detail. The Capture Manager must be a quick learner and self-starter - with the ability to initiate and innovate independently and function well within a team environment. The Capture Manager must have the ability to communicate a variety of messages to different audiences, build relationships effortlessly, and passionately promote HJF's values.
- Manage assigned pipeline (portfolio of opportunities);
- Assumes accountability for advancing and maturing opportunities toward high win probability;
- Lead strategic bids including development of technical solutions and win strategies;
- Identifies new opportunities and assists in the down-select (bid/no bid) process;
- Work with Senior Capture Manager to develop, manage and execute capture strategies and detailed capture plans (including call/meeting plans);
- Provide leadership and execution of effective capture plans utilizing established internal tools and processes;
- Position requires the management and leadership of winning capture teams, effectively collaborating with assigned assets, subject & technical matter experts, functional leads, and Program Managers;
- Coalesce with DoD team members, BD, operational leadership, and SMEs to build and execute call plans to position HJF for successful pursuits;
- Provides critical review and input for various color-team proposal reviews;
- Gather, assess, and validate customer requirements; identify related needs and constraints that impact winning solution;
- Assess probable competition and evaluate relative strengths and weaknesses, conduct competitive scenarios, etc.;
- Translate requirements into robust win strategy, carefully tested and validated, and advances strategy to management and technical design with strong value proposition and differentiated bid elements based on compelling features and benefits;
- Identify gaps and develop strategies to overcome weaknesses and mitigate risks;
- Conduct and participate in gate, pricing, teaming, and capture reviews;
- Effectively advocates for the HJF mission at a variety of events and forums;
- Communicate HJFs core capabilities and research funding solutions;
- Lead and negotiate teaming agreements and strategic alliances;
- Develops and maintains key internal and external relationships to improve the success of the HJF research programs;
- Keep regular contact with existing clients and partners conducting clinical research;
- Serve as key point of contact between the investigator initiated proposal team and the site investigators;
- Ensures research opportunities are successfully transitioned from the discovery phase to the proposal process;
- Work as part of the extended recruiting team: identifying potential HJF candidates, sources of future candidates;
- Relied on as expert for grant and contract processes of Central labs included in portfolio;
- Identify and track grant-funding opportunities of interest to HJF investigators.
- Assist PMO as a local Program Manager for HJF programs in the San Antonio area as assigned;
- Performs other duties as needed.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Demonstrated initiative, entrepreneurial spirit, and customer-focused attitude; actively seeks to deepen current customer relationships and to foster new ones;
- Successfully established and cultivated strong relationships built on trust with peers, across different levels of the organization and externally;
- Solid network and extensive customer knowledge in the client base with proven ability to build new and existing business leveraging connections;
- Effective at working collaboratively with others to reach common goals and objectives;
- Knowledge, experience, and success in the entire capture process and solid experience in all contract types (e.g., FFP, T&M, cost plus) as well as non-IDIQ and IDIQ single or multiple award contracts;
- Knowledge of the federal budget process, defense acquisition and procurement environment and strategy related to research opportunities;
- Demonstrated experience with Customer Relationship Management software and customer data development desirable;
- Demonstrated ability to identify emerging business trends resulting in strategy recommendations to senior management
- Skilled in creating powerful, compelling written and oral communications for capture purposes. Ability to convey complex ideas through brief, simple materials. Experience and credibility when presenting materials to external audiences;
- History of providing grant development support to DoD investigators;
- Ability to work with Word, Excel, Power Point, and database applications;
- Ability to travel, as needed
- Excellent interpersonal, problem solving, and business acumen;
- Confidence and experience dealing with senior executives;
- Ability to work effectively in fast-paced, time sensitive, and often multi-tasking environment;
- Analytical, critical thinking is a required attribute.
- This key individual will be a hands-on, action-oriented, client-focused personality;
- Strong interpersonal skills including ability to actively listen, read audiences, and quickly identify key issues and areas of need;
- Incumbent will have a personal style that generates high levels of confidence and inspires teamwork and customer focus;
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate across business lines with peers;
- Must demonstrate a natural tendency to treat people with respect and adherence to a high standard of strong personal integrity; direct and transparent;
- Must be able to thrive in a highly interactive team environment and possess highly effective interpersonal, communication, collaborative, and leadership skills;
- Demonstrated ability to build and sustain customer intimacy at the highest levels;
- Sound business judgment and strong operational acumen;
- Excellent writing and public speaking skills, including strong proposal writing capabilities and ability to drive proposal teams to complete compliant and compelling proposals;
- Capability to execute on vision, drive business results, and strategic growth in a highly competitive environment;
- Incumbent must have a style that fosters a "can-do" attitude and a sense of trust and integrity;
- High sense of urgency, positive outlook;
- Able to work well under pressure, multi-task, and deliver on multiple priorities;
- Driven, astute, attentive to detail, credible and dedicated to producing work of the highest caliber.
Minimum Education/Training Requirements: Bachelor's degree required. MBA preferred. Military medical related research and advisory experience highly desirable.
Minimum Experience: 4 to 6 years related experience in research development, demonstrated successful experience with Defense acquisition process and capture management processes. 4 to 6 years related experience in proposal submission as an investigator and/or proposal development support.
Work Environment: Local travel up to 40% of effort; position based in San Antonio, TX; scientific conference travel is expected.
HJF is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents, in lieu of stated minimums, require the prior approval of the Director, Human Resources.