Come Work at HJF!
HJF is seeking a Director of Financial Operations to support the financial activities of the HJFMRI Programs managed at HJFMRI Kenya KEMRI/Kisian program site. The position will report to HJFMRI Headquarters. The Director of Financial Operations provides accurate reporting and timely financial support by working closely with all department heads, outside stakeholders and HJFMRI Headquarters (HQ). This is to be accomplished through face-to face meetings, conference calls, and via email. To support all of these responsibilities, the Director of Financial Operations must possess excellent communication skills, sound judgment, and demonstrate initiative.
- Oversee/manage the daily operations of all financial and accounting components of HJFMRI programs. Maintain direct responsibility for day-to-day accounting and financial operations to ensure timely monthly closings, reconciliations and compliance.
- Proactively collaborate across multifunctional teams to create an environment that strives for consistency of best practices identified both internally and externally to the organization.
- Provide financial leadership to meet deliverables during various financial cycles including Monthly Close, Quarterly Reviews, Forecast cycles and other ad hoc requests.
- Work closely with other members of the organization and HJFMRI HQ to ensure financial impacts of various business decisions are understood, aligned and communicated.
- Provide timely, consolidated, accurate, and reliable financial information to enable the Program leaders to incorporate cost considerations into their decision-making.
- Oversee formulation, submission, and defense of the budget to HJFMRI HQ and other various funding agencies.
- Assist with directing financial strategy, planning and forecasts, conferring with senior program leadership and department heads.
- Conduct financial analysis, develop reports, metrics and analysis to extract meaningful and strategically important information from financial data including:
- Project level Budget-vs-Actual reports;
- Carry-forward analysis by departments and stakeholders;
- Reporting, including key monthly/quarterly financial information;
- Monitor accounting data accuracy to ensure accurate monthly reporting and proper cost allocation per project and funder.
- Provide guidance and technical assistance to finance and accounting team members in the areas of accounting, budget, and financial planning.
- Oversee and coordinate the proper and effective use of appropriated resources amongst a varied constituency. Ensure all HJFMRI accounting and financial practices conform with HJFMRI organizational policies and procedures, US Government and other funding agency regulations and in-country statutory requirements. Provide appropriate guidance to support staff, including identification of allowable and non-allowable costs.
- Demonstrate continuous effort to improve operations, decrease turnaround times, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively to provide the highest quality customer service.
- Protect assets by establishing, monitoring and enforcing internal controls.
- Oversee audit and tax functions, coordinate activities with outside audit firms and review performance.
- Supervise/manage Finance and Accounting team and operations at the HJFMRI Kenya Kisian and other program sites.
- Completes other projects as needed.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of organizational objectives.
- Ability to work independently.
- Proficiency in all aspects of corporate accounting and all pertinent GAAP, OMB Uniform Circular, IFRS.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of Kenyan statutory regulations, compliance and reporting requirements.
- High level of proficiency with information technology and standard software programs to effectively utilize QuickBooks, Windows and MS Office applications to include: Excel, Word and PowerPoint – other packages as required.
- Excellent communication and relationship skills:
- Able to build and maintain effective relationships with internal and external clients and partners.
- Interpersonal skills including face-to-face meetings in individual/group settings or over a telephone;
- Able to adjust communication methods and patterns for a wide variety of potential constituencies.
- Exceptional organization skills and ability to handle multiple tasks.
- Proven experience working in a rapid-change organization.
- Proven experience planning, developing, and implementing business systems.
- Ability to learn, develop and contribute in a way that promotes and leverages the core values and principles of the Program in all aspects of the job.
- Passion for working in a mission-driven organization.
- Learning organization – the expectation to grow and develop is essential.
- Communication-intensive culture with a high volume of inclusion and activity.
Minimum Education/Training Requirements:
- Bachelor Degree in financial field or related field.
- Master Degree preferred.
- Years of experience in lieu of degree accepted.
- 10 years related experience financial management field, including at least 5 years of supervisory experience
- Demonstrated, progressively responsible positions including specific experience in budget and financial modeling techniques.
Required Licenses, Certification or Registration: CPA preferred
Supervisory Responsibilities/Controls: Supervises support staff
- Office setting
- Candidate must be able to relocate to Kisumu/Kisian, Kenya
- Occasional travel within Africa and US is required
HJF is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents, in lieu of stated minimums, require prior approval of HJF Human Resources Department.