Join the HJF Team!
HJF is seeking a Senior Managing Epidemiologist (Educations Coordinator)
to support the Armed Forces Health Surveillance Center (AFHSB) in Silver Spring, Maryland. HJF provides scientific, technical and programmatic support services to AFHSB.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
- Train students in public health. Students upon completion of AFHSC rotation will have knowledge of databases and request processes; better ability to design sound epidemiological study/investigation; complete such study or investigation resulting in a published paper; establish contacts a future Preventive Medicine Officer; and improve presentation skills.
- Coordinate with other personnel involved in medical training rotation.
- Regularly attend R3 meetings.
- Update R3 on resident projects periodically. Residency activities are priority, then operational analyses, then research and other manuscripts.
- Serve as a Senior Managing Epidemiologist.
- Manage a team of epidemiologists, biostatisticians, and SAS programmers to conduct public health epidemiology and sero-surveillance for the DoD using databases such as DMSS, DMED, or DoDSR.
- Assist in the implementation of system to improve public health sero-surveillance for high volume and high risk health conditions using the DMSS and DoDSR.
- Assists in the development and execution of public health epidemiologic and sero-epidemiologic studies in response to general operational requests using the DMSS and DoDSR.
- Assists external military and collaborating civilian research clients in the development and execution of general epidemiologic and sero-epidemiologic studies using DMSS and DoDSR.
- Assists fellow staff as needed regarding epidemiological study design, biostatistical methods, and SAS programming tasks.
- Complete other medical surveillance tasks as needed, to include but not limited to:
- Responsible for analyzing a variety of medical surveillance data and field/lab epidemiologic data using statistical methods and computer hardware/software.
- Responding to ad hoc, quick-turnaround request and inquiries using existing and routinely collected data.
- Conducting longitudinal data analyses.
- Submitting research papers for peer-reviewed journals.
- Assessing the feasibility of proposed studies and evaluate data sources for other researchers.
- Planning and designing long-term studies to identify risk factors for select outcomes leading to policy changes or behavioral modifications, evaluate the success of policies, and identify the need for other policies.
- Identifying and investigating current and archival epidemiological data in the conducting of field epidemiological surveillance or outbreak investigations.
- Providing input to publications in the form of surveillance summaries.
- Mentors junior analytic staff.
- May be tasked to direct and lead multiple tasks simultaneously and independently and with project teams.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience in database management and analysis software such as STATA, SAS, SPSS, or Epi Info.
- Knowledge and ability to use and teach complex epidemiological and biostatistical methods for assessing the risk of disease.
- Familiarity with computer programming including detailed knowledge of statistical software including SAS, familiarity with Oracle database structures and queries using SQL.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office applications such as MS Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
- General knowledge of DoD medical research, development, and acquisition processes.
- General knowledge of drug, vaccine, and medical device research.
- Competent in hypothesis generation, study and concept design, and data analysis.
- Team player and collaborates well with professionals.
Minimum Education/Training Requirements:
- Desire a PhD or equivalent scientific degree in epidemiology or public health.
- Desires a minimum of 3-4 years of related experience in Public Health, Epidemiology, Biostatistics or Statistics, with significant related experience using SAS.
HJF is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents, in lieu of stated minimums, require the prior approval of the Director of Human Resources.