Join the HJF Team!
HJF is seeking a Senior Technical Writer/Editor to support the Armed Forces Health Surveillance Center (AFHSB) in Silver Spring, Maryland. HJF provides scientific, technical and programmatic support services to AFHSB.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
- Support the Director and Assistant Directors of Epidemiology and Analysis in accomplishing the division's mission and objectives.
- Support the Medical Surveillance Monthly Report (AFHSC's monthly publication) as editor or technical writing staff.
- Lead or assist a team of MSMR staff in planning, designing, analyzing, and reporting of disease and injury trends or outbreaks within the DoD.
- Edit and write medical and scientific papers.
- Prepare graphs and tables for MSMR publications.
- Ensure timely monthly publication of the MSMR.
- Collaborate with Government and contract personnel within AFHSC or from other DoD/Federal agencies in planning and designing sound epidemiological studies to submit for publication for the MSMR or other peer- reviewed medical after informing E&A.
- May be tasked to prepare ad hoc briefings, white papers, summaries, reports, and presentations on health surveillance.
- May be tasked to prepare or deliver presentations to military and other government and civilian organizations and publish reports in government, peer-reviewed, and civilian publications.
- Maintain proficiency in epidemiology, biostatistics, and public health and shall remain current on public health issues.
- Inform and involve the U.S. Government (AFHSC) in creating and validating assumptions and procedures required to resolve any data quality issues.
- Protect PHI/PII while in use for analysis and while in storage in approved storage systems.
- Follow established quality assurance processes and plan in ensuring accuracy of reports, summaries, and analyses prior to distribution and in protection of PHI/PII.
- Maintain a Business Associate Agreement with the DoD TRICARE Management Activity (TMA) in order to fulfill requirements for protection of health information and privacy.
- Assist (or leads), track, and report (every 6 months or as needed) established quality assurance projects/metrics as stated in Specific Tasks section of this PWS.
- Complete other health surveillance tasks as required and in accordance with Specific Tasks section of this PWS.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Solid knowledge in epidemiology, preventive medicine and public health, and stays current on public health events.
- Expertise in leading a group of professions in planning, designing, analyzing, and reporting on epidemiological studies that will help identify risk factors for specific health outcomes in military-related populations.
- Strong writing and editing medical and scientific papers.
- Command of English language and can coherently present analytical results.
- Experience with DoD health-related databases to perform longitudinal analyses.
- Experience in using Microsoft Office software (MS
- Outlook, MS Word, MS Excel, and MS PowerPoint) and other graphic applications used to publish MSMR.
Minimum Education/Training Requirements:
- Desire a Bachelor's degree or higher (MPH in public health is preferred).
- Desires a minimum of 3 years work experience in related occupation.
HJF is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents, in lieu of stated minimums, require the prior approval of the Director of Human Resources.