Come Work at HJF!
HJF is seeking a Senior Medical Consultant/Senior Science Advisor to support the Armed Forces Health Surveillance Center (AFHSB) in Silver Spring, Maryland. HJF provides scientific, technical and programmatic support services to AFHSB.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
- Support the Director and Assistant Directors of Epidemiology and Analysis in accomplishing the division's mission and objectives.
- Provide consultative support within 1-3 business days from receipt request on epidemiology, biostatistics, or on a wide variety of health surveillance questions on military-related populations to personnel within AFHSC, preventive medicine and public health professionals, key military leaders, policy leaders, and researchers throughout the DoD.
- Support the Medical Surveillance Monthly Report (AFHSC's monthly publication) as editor or writing staff.
- Lead or assist a team of MSMR staff in planning, designing, analyzing, and reporting of disease and injury trends or outbreaks within the DoD.
- Ensure timely monthly publication of the MSMR.
- Consultative support in epidemiology, biostatistics, or public health shall include (but not limited to):
- Determination of feasibility of all requests and taskings received by AFHSC in using the health and personnel data stored in DMSS and serum in the DoDSR.
- Assistance in formulation of sound epidemiological studies (i.e., hypothesis generation, study concept and design, data retrieval from AFHSC and other DoD databases, analytic techniques, and reporting).
- Expert opinion on infectious disease, primary care, preventive medicine, occupational medicine, and other health topics that are pertinent in health surveillance analysis and reporting reparation of adhoc briefings, white papers, summaries, reports, and presentations on health surveillance.
- Expert opinion on health surveillance and public health from Congressional inquiries or requests from medial or the public.
- Collaboration with Government and contract personnel within AFHSC or from other DoD/Federal agencies in planning and designing sound epidemiological studies to submit for publication in peer-reviewed medical or scientific journals after informing E&A.
- Work with or provide consultation to other staff (contract or government) within AFHSC, U.S. Armed Forces, and other DoD agents to standardized medical case definitions, methodology, analysis, and reporting which are important in health surveillance.
- Plan and design long-term epidemiological studies that will help identify risk factors for specific health outcomes, leading to policy changes or behavior modifications as indicated by the study results.
- Prepare and deliver presentations to military and other government and civilian organizations and publishes reports in government, peer-reviewed, and civilian publications.
- Maintain proficiency in epidemiology, biostatistics, and public health and shall remain current on public health issues.
- Provide professional mentoring to medical and graduate students, physicians-in-training, and other health professional within DoD.
- Assist or lead quality assurance projects on maintaining the highest data quality of products are provided to end-users as stated under the Specific Tasks section of this PWS.
- Inform and involve the U.S. Government (AFHSC) in creating and validating assumptions and procedures required to resolve any data quality issues.
- Write and edit medical and scientific papers.
- Assist or lead functional activities within E&A that are necessary to support AFHSC’s mission such as (but not limited to):
- Production of health surveillance summaries, reports, and presentations (e.g., ad hoc briefings, white papers, slides, and other types of documents summarizing analytic activities and studies).
- Maintenance of functional documents necessary to perform daily functions within the Epidemiology and Analysis Division and other divisions within AFHSC.
- Support of DoD working groups (as assigned by E&A) within or external to AFHSC that are involved in development of DoD-wide health surveillance.
- Analysis, planning, and implementation of changes in functional processes.
- Planning of and provision of training for staff and customers in epidemiology, biostatistics and other topics pertinent in the practice of health surveillance and public health practice.
- Protection of PHI/PH while in use for analysis and while in storage in approved storage systems.
- Follows established quality assurance processes and plan in ensuring accuracy of reports, summaries, and analyses prior to distribution and in protection of PHI/PIE.
- Maintain a Business Associate Agreement with the DoD TRICARE Management Activity (TMA) in order to fulfill requirements for protection of health information and privacy.
- Serve as team members who can help organize, lead, or execute special projects/collaborations with other Divisions of AFHSC, other DoD and Federal agencies, nom-military academic partners that are military, civilians, or Contractors.
- May serve as customer-interface to ensure problems are resolved and requirements are met in a timely manner.
- Assist (or leads), track, and report (every 6 months or as needed) established quality assurance projects/metrics as stated in Specific Tasks section of this PWS.
- Complete other health surveillance tasks as required and in accordance with Specific Tasks section of this PWS.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Solid knowledge in epidemiology, preventive medicine and public health (or infectious disease, internal medicine, or general family medicine), and stays current on public health events.
- Expertise in planning, designing, analyzing, and reporting on epidemiological studies that will help identify risk factors for specific health outcomes in military-related populations.
- Experience with DoD health-related databases to perform longitudinal analyses.
- Experience in using Microsoft Office software (MS Outlook, MS Word, MS Excel, and MS PowerPoint).
- Technical skills to conduct analyses, write reports, prepare briefings, and coherently present results.
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills and able to collaborate with others on projects and investigations.
- Strong writing and editing medical and scientific papers.
- Command of English language and can coherently present analytical results.
- Skills to supervise medical personnel, senior researchers, and senior employees directly; indirectly supervises lower-level employees.
- Team player who collaborates well with other professionals
- Computer programming skills (highly desirable).
Minimum Education/Training Requirements:
- Desires a Medical degree or equivalent scientific degree in a related field (e.g., PhD, DVM, DrPH).
- Licensed to practice in the United States or its territories. Board certified or Board eligible.
- Desires a minimum of 5-10 years of work experience in related occupation
HJF is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents, in lieu of stated minimums, require the prior approval of the Director of Human Resources.