Come Work at HJF!
HJF is seeking a Research Analyst to support the Armed Forces Health Surveillance Center (AFHSB) in Silver Spring, Maryland. HJF provides scientific, technical and programmatic support services to AFHSB.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
- Supports the Director and Assistant Directors of Epidemiology and Analysis in accomplishing the division's mission and objectives.
- Supports the Senior Epidemiologists or Senior Scientists in accomplishing their tasks and objectives.
- Uses expertise in SAS and SQL programming to acquire and analyze personnel and health data for military-related epidemiological studies (adhoc or recurrent) received by E&A.
- Assists in quality assurance verification of programming codes contained in past and current reports and requests.
- Works with epidemiologists, biostatisticians, preventive medicine and public health professionals, and research analysts within E&A and AFHSC (Government and contract) to rapidly deploy public health epidemiologic and sero- surveillance capabilities for the DoD using data resources within AFHSC and DoD.
- Assists in the development, planning, testing, validation, and execution of military-related epidemiological studies (adhoc or recurrent) received by E&A using sound epidemiologic and biostatistical knowledge and data resources within AFHSC and DoD.
- Informs and involves the U.S. Government (AFHSC) in creating and validating assumptions and procedures required to resolve any data quality issues.
- Maintains proficiency in SAS®, SQL® and other programming skills, and shall remain current on public health issues.
- Assists or leads quality assurance projects on maintaining the highest data quality of products provided to end-users.
- Assists or leads functional activities within E&A that are necessary to support AFHSC's mission such as (but not limited to):
- Maintenance of functional documents necessary to perform daily functions within the Epidemiology and Analysis Division and other divisions within AFHSC.
- Production of health surveillance summaries, reports, and presentations (e.g., ad hoc briefings, white papers, slides, and other types of documents summarizing analytic activities and studies).
- Support of DoD working groups (as assigned by E&A) within or external to AFHSC that are involved in development of DoD-wide health surveillance.
- Analysis, planning, and implementation of changes in functional processes.
- Planning and provision of training for staff and customers in epidemiology, biostatistics, programming, or other topics pertinent in the practice of health surveillance and public health practice.
- Protection of PHI/PII while in use for analysis and while in storage in approved storage systems.
- Follows established quality assurance processes and plan in ensuring accuracy of reports, summaries, and analyses prior to distribution and in protection of PHUPII.
- Maintains a Business Associate Agreement with the DoD TRICARE Management Activity (TMA) in order to fulfill requirements for protection of health information and privacy.
- Assists or leads projects involved with writing technical documentation such as, but not limited to: user manuals, standard operating procedures, product specifications, and training materials.
- Prepares reports, slides, tables or graphs on analyses, findings, and project progress, and presents results to management and/or customer personnel.
- May collaborate with Government and contract personnel within AFHSC or from other DoD/Federal agencies in planning, designing, and analysis of sound epidemiological studies to submit for publication in peer-reviewed medical or scientific journals after informing E&A.
- Assists (or leads), tracks, and reports (every 6 months or as needed) established quality assurance projects/metrics as stated in Specific Tasks section of this PWS.
- May assist in administrative tasks as stated in Specific Tasks section of this PWS to support Director and Assistant Directors of E&A.
- Completes other health surveillance tasks as required and in accordance with Specific Tasks section of this PWS.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Solid knowledge base in computer programming (writing and reading) including: detailed knowledge of statistical software including SAS®; familiarity with Oracle® database structures; and experience using SQL®.
- Epidemiological or biostatistical work experience or training (highly preferred)
- Experience with DoD health-related databases (i.e., SADR, SIIDR, CAPER, TMDS, TRAC2ES, and military personnel data) to perform longitudinal analyses.
- Experience in using Microsoft Office software (MS Outlook, MS Word, MS Excel, and MS PowerPoint).
- Strong writing skills and oral communication.
- Able to collaborate with other professionals.
Minimum Education/Training Requirements:
- Desire a Bachelor's degree or higher in Computer Science or a related technical discipline, or the equivalent combination of education, technical training, and/or work experience.
- Desire a Master's degree in Computer Science is preferred).
- Computer scientist with biological science background is highly desirable.
- Desires a minimum of 1-3 years’ work experience in related occupation
HJF is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents, in lieu of stated minimums, require the prior approval of the Director of Human Resources.