This job posting is no longer active
Come Work at HJF!
HJF is seeking a Postdoctoral Fellow to support the Military HIV Research Program (MHRP) located at the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research (WRAIR) in Silver Spring, Maryland. HJF provides scientific, technical and programmatic support services to MHRP. The incumbent will be responsible for initiating and carrying out scientific projects, under the supervision of senior scientists and in collaboration with other research scientists. The research areas will be a wide variety of scientific principles and concepts in genetic diversity of HIV research to monitor HIV strains circulating in pandemic, characterize HIV variants in different biological compartments, generate and characterize molecular reagents for immunological assays needed for vaccine researches. The incumbent will work within a multidisciplinary environment consisting of military, government, academic, and international collaborators. Must be a US citizen or have worked in the US for a minimum of 3 years.
1. Designing, developing, executing, and implementing scientific research and/or development.
2. Investigates the feasibility of applying a wide variety of scientific principles and theories to potential inventions and products.
3. Performs specialized laboratory research utilizing experimental protocols which will involve specialized procedures such as extraction of nucleic acids, molecular analysis of specific RNA transcripts by quantitative RT-PCR, end-point/SGA/ real-time PCR, conventional and next-generation sequencing, DNA cloning and generating infectious molecular clones. Perform biological characterization of generated reagents using culture techniques.
4. Analyzes experimental data applying relevant statistical and bioinformatic models.
5. Collects and handles samples and keeps detailed records of experiments.
6. Prepares data for presentations at scientific meetings and for publication in journals.
7. Maintains cleanliness of laboratory areas.
8. Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: Advance knowledge in virology and immunology emphasizing HIV-1 vaccine and cure research. Strong laboratory skills in HIV-1 molecular biology techniques including Real-time PCR, Single Genome Amplification Sequencing, Next Generation Sequencing and DNA cloning, Strong laboratory skills in immunology techniques especially cell cultures and sorting. Experience with project planning, implementation, and data analysis. Experience in presentation at scientific meetings and publication in scientific journals.
Minimum Education/Training Requirements: PhD in Molecular Biology, or related disciplines and emphasizing in HIV-1 Genetics and Immunology
Minimum Experience: 3 years experience in HIV research. Relevant publications or presentations at scientific meetings desired.
Physical Capabilities: Long periods of standing and sitting; intricate work with hands; carrying of light and moderately heavy laboratory equipment; able to distinguish colors in a normal way.
Required Licenses, Certification or Registration: Must be a US citizen or have worked in the US for at least 3 years
Supervisory Responsibilities/Controls: Provide guidance to laboratory staff as needed
Work Environment: Laboratory environment; may involve working with bio-hazardous materials; may require working evenings and weekends. This position will be located on a US Military installation and incumbent is required to be a US citizen or have worked in the US for a minimum of 3 years.
HJF is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents, in lieu of stated minimums, require the prior approval of the Director of Human Resources.